Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Love of Sea Glass

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

It is beginning to warm up here! I'm so excited because it won't be long until I will be spending much more time walking along our beautiful beach on Topsail Island! In the past few years that we have lived here, I have spent many hours walking the beach with friends family and sometimes by myself. I have collected many treasures during these walks, shells driftwood, fossils, sand dollars, pretty crab shells, and my absolute favorite treasure,  SEA GLASS! I thought I would share some pictures of my favorite treasure today.

Here are some of my larger pieces. I have them in several jars around the house


Sea glass is glass that has been softened around the edges and frosted by being covered and uncovered by the action of the waves and sand. Some of it has been around for decades and some of it is newer. The glass came from shipwrecks along the coast, from being left behind on the beach and from being dumped into the ocean. My favorite time to treasure hunt is during a falling tide. I also like to go after a full moon, when there seems to be more glass and other treasures that have been uncovered by the higher tide. I love to treasure hunt after a storm too. That seems to be when I can find the most unusual treasures. :)

Here is one of my collection jars. I took the lid off so you could see the beautiful colors of the glass.



Here is a lamp that I reworked and filled with more of my treasures. My friend Sara helped me fill this lamp (which was featured in an earlier blog). We like to walk to the pier in the mornings especially late summer and early fall. It is quiet and the water is so beautiful some days.

Here the glass is displayed in a vintage McCoy planter, another favorite collection of mine.:)


One last piece to share! My mom noticed this unusual piece of clear. I think it is the bottom of a jar. Doesn't it look like a fish head?


I hope that you enjoyed looking at my treasures today. It has been so long since my last post and it made me happy to get a chance to share with you today. I will be linking up with Sara over at " " A Beach Cottage" for her " Good Life Wednesdays" . Please join me over there! Sara has a beautiful blog and a relaxed beachy style that I just love!

Take care and I will be back soon with another post. I have a few things around my house that I want to share with you. See you soon! Have A great day!

XOXO
Debbi

PS: I still have not figured out how to grab buttons! Hopefully my sweet neighbor, Grace, has figured it out and will show me:)

11 comments:

  1. good to know! glad the weather is getting nicer over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh.. love it! Another sea glass lover! Brilliant pieces and shots!
    Smiles~
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! Can't wait to read more! The house looks great.
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice sea glass! I bet it is fun finding them!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your beach glass and I LOVE how you used them in your lamp, so very pretty!! I wish I could find more beach glass along the shores of Lake Michigan but I do find some from time to time. They are very special to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! And even better news, I think I've figured out the grab a button ;-)! We're moving up in technology....now if only Joel and I texted ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the nice comments! Grace, I'm going to visit this week! Glad you figured it out!
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! Love the seaglass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh....love your seaglass!!!! What a fabulous collection you have!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the lamp filled with sea glass - lovely article!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, debbi,

    thanks for the comment on my blog! i tried to reply to you via email but you came up as “no reply” so i checked your site for an email and couldn’t find one. you're a hard one to get in touch with!!

    i checked out your blog and LOVE what i saw, esp this post about sea glass! we live at a beach house all summer and i did a labor day post about a great piece that i found. mine are all (anally) organized in antique jars for now but i’m hunting for a lamp like yours! beautiful! do you have the book pure sea glass book by richard and sally lemotte? a great read AND coffee table book.

    can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    amy

    ReplyDelete